Thursday, December 15, 2016

Trial of Elizabeth Rimes


Transcript:
JOHN MOORE, ELIZABETH RYMES, Theft > theft from a specified place, 28th October 1789.

Reference Number: t17891028-23
Offence: Theft > theft from a specified place
Verdict: Not Guilty; Guilty
Punishment: Transportation

763. JOHN MOORE and ELIZABETH RYMES
were indicted for stealing, on the 11th of September last, one woollen blanket, value 3 s. and one linen sheet, value 4 s. the property of Richard Williams , in a lodging room .

(The witnesses examined separate.)

MARY WILLIAMS sworn.


I am wife of Richard Williams; I let a ready furnished lodging to the woman prisoner; a room on the first floor; Moore was not with her; he came the same night. he paid three shillings a week; they were there rather better than three weeks; I took them to be man and wife; but I since find they are not; the room joining their room, was stripped: I made a great outcry, and sent for an officer: I missed a bed-gown, a sheet, and a blanket: the duplicates were found in the woman's pocket; I saw them taken out by the officer.

MARY JOLLY sworn.

I know both the prisoners very well, by seeing them at our shop; a blanket and a sheet were pledged at our house; I did not take them in; I do not know who brought them.

JOHN ELLINGHAM sworn.


I am a carpenter; I went to apprehend the prisoners, by information; I took the prisoners the 12th of September, at No. 5, Rose-lane, Spital-fields; I searched her, and found eleven duplicates on her; and two of which led to the discovery, one of a blanket and the other on a sheet.

THOMAS HUCKWELL sworn.


I am a constable: on the 12th of September, I took the woman, and found on her these duplicates.

(Produced.)

Mrs. Jolly. These are our duplicates; my master's name is printed upon them.

JOHN LODWICH sworn.


I went with the constable to find out the prisoners: the woman was at home; she said to Mrs. Williams, you need not turn down the bed, there is a blanket and a sheet missing; she said they were pawned; and I saw eleven duplicates taken out of her pocket.

PRISONER RYMES's DEFENCE.

I proposed to get the things out; I did not mean to let the things lay in.

PRISONER MOORE's DEFENCE.


I went out about eleven in the forenoon, with intent to get some work; I had been out of work for a long time; I went and got a job; and with the money, I had intention to get out the sheet and blanket, and pay the rent, which was not due for fifteen hours.

How came she to pass as your wife? - She is not so by law, Sir, but we cohabit together.

JOHN MOORE , NOT GUILTY .

ELIZABETH RYMES , GUILTY ,


Transported for seven years .

Tried by the London Jury before Mr. Justice HEATH.
--------------------

Back to main story

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment on Genealogy Boomerangs. All our comments are moderated and it should appear shortly. I hope you enjoyed the read.
Barb