Monday, September 5, 2016

The Will of Edmund Charles Clark




Edmund Clark's will

 At first there was a lot of confusion around Edmund's Will, as there was another Edmund Clark, builder at a nearby town of Dunolly.  His will also mentions a William and Susanah Clark which continued to add to the confusion.  The only thing to do was to sit down and try to document each document.  it was then I realised that the dates did not add up and worked out which Edmund was which.

 Transcription -

This is the last Will and Testament of me, Edmund Charles Clark of Wattle Street Bendigo in the State of Victoria, Carpenter.  I Appoint my daughter Elizabeth Clark of Surrey Hills, near Melbourne and wife of William Clark of the same place, Customs House Officer, and my son William Samuel Clark of King Street, West Bendigo aforesaid Contractor (hereinafter termed my said Trustees) Executrix and Executor and Trustees of this my will.

I give devise and bequeath unto my said trustees all and singular my real and personal estate of whatsoever situate and [illeg] that they shall stand possessed thereof upon trust to permit my wife Mahala Clark to have the use, benefit and enjoyment thereof during her life.  And from and after the death of my said wife my said trustees shall stand possessed of my said estate upon trust for my daughter Susan Clark for her [illeg] absolute use and benefit.

I appoint Mr Charles Cohen and his firm to be and act as solicitor and solicitors in proving this my will and in carrying out the trusts thereof.  Etc.etc….

                Signed by the Testater the said Edmund Charles Clark as and for his last will and testament in  the presence of us both, being present at the same time where at his request in his presence and in the presence of each other have herewith {ileg} and subscribed our names as witnesses.
Signed: E. C. Clark
John J. Wells, Contractor

-----------------


I know from the probate that Edmund left the following assets and debts:


  • All that Piece of land being part of Crown Allotment 2 Section 6B situated in Wattle Street, Bendigo on which is erected a six roomed weatherboard and brick house built about 30 years ago - value PDS450
  • Savings Bank Bendigo 15PDS, 19 SHL, 8 PCE.
  • Bendigo Building Society, 50PDS
  • Interest 3PDS, 3SHL, 4PCE.
  • Mortgage to the Trustees of the Loyal James Roe IOOF MU, Bendigo registered in the office of tittles to 194482,  250PDS
  • Interest at 5% from Dec 9th 1904 to 24 July05 at 5% - 2PDS 8 SHL.
It would have taken all of the cash, plus more to pay out the mortgage.

Back to main story

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment on Genealogy Boomerangs. All our comments are moderated and it should appear shortly. I hope you enjoyed the read.
Barb